Monday, November 11, 2013

Nice to Meet You!

Hello! I am Jessica, a life-long volunteer at Eye of the Storm. I've popped up a few times on this blog, and if you follow our facebook page (which you should!) I'm the one always posting all those pictures of the horses.

I've been volunteering at Eye of the Storm since I was 14 years old, being 24 now – that's a whopping TEN years! Wow the time flies. I started as just a horse loving kid who wanted more out of a relationship with a horse than just once a week riding for half an hour. At Eye of the Storm I discovered how intelligent and kind horses are. Having few human friends in my childhood, the horses here become my rocks, Solomon and Noogie in particular. Solomon showed me the ropes of Eye of the Storm. He taught me how to speak “horse”. He is as mild and kind as a horse can get, but due to his past he has some sore spots. He taught me where he liked to be scratched and where I should never touch. He taught me about how the herd works – he was the lead gelding of his herd of mares, at the time he had Nessa, Snowdrop, Junebug and Bianca. He taught me how he protected his mares, but he also taught me that Nessa was really the one in charge. He did the guarding – but she kept everyone in line. I've watched through the years as his herd dwindled, I've seen his sadness when he lost his beloved Snow Drop. He loved her so much – it wasn't much reciprocated, but he protected her and worried when she was away. He taught me what love looked like in it's purest form. He is my friend still today, while he's grown old and I've gotten my own horses – I watch him still as he takes care of the new volunteers and takes care of the girls who are just like I was – teaching them what horses really are.

One of our first rides together
I rode Solomon only 2 or 3 times in our time together, he wasn't sound very often. I remember each time and loved every moment of it. Being given permission to ride by Nina is a badge of honor here, it means she trusts us to do right by the horses. It means she believes our relationship with the horse is strong enough to be safe. And we were safe, Solomon took great care of me. The first time was just in the ring we walked and gaited and had tons of fun. Riding him was like riding a couch! But riding him taught me to pay attention to what he was telling me. I started to see when he said he was uncomfortable and it was time to stop. I started to know when it was time to play, when he was bored or excited. We even got to go on one glorious trail ride! We rode through the woods and encountered some dirt bikers who had dug a jump for their bikes – my loyal steed Solomon carried me past those bikes and we flew over the jump together! I have taken lessons for years, jumped and ridden several horses – but nothing compared to that feeling. He was pretty sore and uncomfortable the next day, we decided that would be our last trail. But I think we both thought it was pretty worth it! I love him even still today, he's the first grizzled old face I see when I enter the barn and the last nose to kiss good night to. His herd is down to just one, Bianca, but he still does his job and protects her. Solomon has taught me to speak horse.
Solomon helping me get ready for the last open house


Eye of the Storm has been so much for me. I've learned to speak horse, I've learned that horses are so much more than something to ride on, the horses are each worth so much more than what they can do for us. The horses at Eye of the Storm can't do much for us, and we don't ask much of them – but they gave me what I needed most, friends and a safe haven. I've learned too about health and nutrition and about how even something as simple as what we eat can greatly affect how we feel and think! If we balanced our diets as well as we balanced our horses, with the herbs and supplements we'd all feel so great! I've been at EOTS through surgeries and vet care, I've helped wash Rose's hives and held Viking's head during his gelding, and Czardas's head during her canker removal. I've learned the goods and bads about modern veterinary medicine, the options we as animal caretakers have to keep our animals safe. I've learned about the beginning of life with our two colts, and the end of life with the many we've been there for when it was their time to cross over. Being here has provided me with more opportunities than I can imagine, including a scholarship to college and job opportunities. EOTS has truly shaped my life and will become my future.

I'll be posting up a few stories as well as Nina's on the blog so keep an eye of who signs it! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment