Saturday, December 6, 2008

Pretty in Pink


A new little mare just came to us. She was a camp horse who put her foot through a wall, fell down, and hung there for an unknown period of time, but long enough to do severe damage to her pastern and get a large and painful pressure sore on her hip. The camp personnel and the vet did an awesome job with her care, but time was running out. With months of special care and recuperation time needed, the camp was closing and she had no where to go and no one to care for her.

We are no longer able to stay at our current location and I was determined not to take anymore horses until we moved. But…maybe it was the prayers being answered of all the little girls that love her. I knew she had to come to us.

When she arrived she looked at me as if she knew me. All the lights were on in her eyes and when she jumped from the trailer, wounded leg and all, she trotted straight to her stall. She had just come home. This was where she wanted to be, the search was over. She looked at me and tears began to fall from her eyes. She put her nose in my hand and nickered softly. I think maybe she said, “Thank you.” This really happened! Even now whenever one of us approaches her, she cries.

Her name was Roxy, but we call her Pretty in Pink. This pretty little mare is a sabino pinto with a silver and gold mane. She looks very Spanish and is the kind of horse little girls fall in love with.

Pretty is supposed to be 15 years old, but upon inspecting her teeth I found bottom front teeth missing and top teeth broken. She appears to have broken ribs on her right side and asymmetrical shoulders. Upon examination by our own vet it was discovered that she is much older than 15, but it’s difficult to tell how much because of her damaged teeth. I estimate she’s over 20. She eats well and now that she’s off antibiotics she’s gaining weight. Her wounds are healing well and it appears no permanent damage has been done.

Her spirit reminds me of my precious Stormy, the reason Eye of the Storm exists. I have received an incredible gift in this horse. I thank all the powers at work that brought us together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment